~ Gamers World Bangladesh Blog

Sunday, August 13, 2006

The Search for a Good ISP

Fed up with the worst service that I came across, I decided to switch my ISP. When all hope was lost, an unbelievable offer came up - which I couldn't resist.

Yesterday, I just reached the end of my patience with my current ISP, Dtech Ltd. from whom I took a broadband connection. The speed was unbearably slow. Everything seemed to take ages to load. Trust me, it took forever. Worse still the connection would drop suddenly and I would not be able to go online for days.

After not receiving the connection for three consecutive days, I got fed up. I decided to call in tech support. There didn't seem to be any good reason for the connection to keep dropping continually. The tech support wasn't of great help either.

"We're doing the very best we can, Mr. Rahman. I will at once increase the bandwidth of your connection."

After receiving a temporary boost of about two hours or so, my connection resumed its previous state. Again. Agh. That was the last straw, I thought. I need to switch my ISP.

A search on Goolge revealed several ISPs near my home. Most of them offered more or less the same packages to home users. a 28.8 kbps shared bandwidth at 1,500 taka (the same service as I had from Dtech Ltd.). Once or twice, I even considered getting a corporate package in my home!

I feared that the end was nigh. There didn't seem to be any good ISP available in all of Dhaka city. So it was a chance of luck that I landed on www.zipbd.com Now, what they were offering to home users was unbelievable. A 128 kbps (average) shared fibre optic connection at 1,500 taka per month! Moreover, they offered other ancillary services, such as Video over IP, a gaming server (yummy) and 30 or so free videos on demand. It seemed too good to be true. I even contacted customer support to make sure that all the details were accurate!

So fast forward to today, and I have a delicious fibre optic connection pumping at more than 128 kbps. Now everything loads faster and downloads don't take forever. I do not have to wait overnight for a 1GB game demo to near completion and suffer from little or no lag while I play Battlefield 2 online. Well see you slow-pokes later, I've got a date with my Battlefield 2 clan, online.

Play Free Online Games

Site best viewed in Internet Explorer 7 at minimum resolution of 1024x768 pixels.

© Gamers World Bangladesh 2006-2007. All Rights Reserved.